Editorial Note: Forbes Advisor may earn a commission on sales made from partner links on this page, but this does not affect the opinions or ratings of our editors.
Visa is one of the largest payment processing networks in the world, which makes its best-known slogan “You are wherever you want to be”. Anyone who has a Visa card is likely to find it accepted all over the world that accepts credit cards.
Although the main features of your credit card, including any charges, rewards, welcome bonus or Offers 0% APR are determined by the issuing bank, each Visa offers certain advantages depending on the level. Often times, these perks can save you money and provide extra peace of mind when traveling, shopping, or on the go.
There are three types or levels of Visa:
The difference between these types is that the higher the level, the greater the perks and extras included on the card. The exact benefits that come with your particular Visa card, however, are determined by your issuing bank. This means that a Visa Signature card from one bank may have slightly different benefits than a Visa Signature card from another bank.
Benefits of the traditional visa
If your card is a traditional Visa card, here are some of the included benefits that may come with your card:
- ID Navigator Identity Theft Protections: Sign up for this free Norton LifeLock service and get credit monitoring and support if your identity is compromised.
- Shipping Benefits: One month free Shipt subscription, then three months 50% off subscription, with free shipping on orders of $ 35 and over.
- Sofa sounds: Seven-day exclusive Visa presale to events presented by Sofar, plus a free ticket with the purchase of one or more tickets for a show during the presale window (limit of two free tickets per year).
- Cardholder Information Service: Get 24-hour access to a Visa representative for any questions regarding your account.
- Lost or stolen card assistance: You can report your card lost or stolen 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Visa will work with you and your issuing bank as needed to block your missing account, issue a replacement card and / or organize an emergency cash disbursement. .
- Rental Vehicle Collision Waiver: Get auto coverage for damage caused by collision or theft. To activate coverage, complete the entire rental transaction with your eligible Visa card and decline the rental company’s Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) coverage.
- Zero liability: Your liability for unauthorized transactions is $ 0.
- Road expedition: Eligible Visa cardholders have access to Roadside Dispatch, a pay-as-you-go service that provides the following services for a fixed price: standard towing up to 5 miles inclusive, tire change (must have a good spare tire inflated) quick start, service lockout (no key replacement), fuel delivery up to 5 gallons (plus fuel cost) and standard winching.
Benefits of visa signing
Visa Signature is the next level and usually includes all of the benefits included above, plus these additional benefits:
- Shipping Benefits: Three months free Shipt subscription, then 9 months subscription at 50% off, with free shipping on orders of $ 35 and over.
- Skills sharing course: Free subscription for three months plus 20% discount on annual renewals.
- Benefits of the Sofar event: Exclusive seven-day Visa presale to events presented by Sofar, plus one free ticket for each purchase of one or more tickets for a show during the presale period.
- Visa Signature Hotel Collection: Enjoy special guest status at over 900 Visa Signature Luxury Hotel properties around the world.
- Extended warranty protection: Visa will extend the duration of your current US manufacturer’s warranty by 3 years or less. For guarantees of less than one year, the duration is doubled; for warranties from 1 year to 3 years, the warranty is extended by an additional year.
- Year-end summary: Get a detailed annual report of your expenses, organized into expense categories.
- Travel and emergency assistance services: Access a multilingual call center 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Services include pre-travel assistance, medical assistance, emergency transport assistance, emergency courier service, prescription assistance and delivery arrangements for valuable documents, legal assistance, ticket replacement emergency services, a lost baggage tracing service and an emergency translation service.
- Golf discounts and privileges: Join Troon Rewards for discounts on golf fees and merchandise at participating locations.
- Silvercar Discounts: Receive up to 15% off a luxury Audi rental car through Silvercar.
- Benefits of Sonoma County Wine: Enjoy year-round benefits and exclusive access to over 50 select Sonoma County Visa Signature wineries.
Visa Infinite is the highest level and usually includes many of the benefits included above, along with these additional benefits:
Benefits of Visa Infinite
- Shipping Benefits: Up to three years of free Shipt membership (normally $ 99 per year), with free shipping on orders of $ 35 and over.
- Skills sharing course: Free subscription for three months plus 30% discount on annual renewals.
- Benefits of the Sofar event: Seven-day exclusive Visa presale to events presented by Sofar, plus one free ticket for each purchase of one or more tickets for a show during the presale period.
- Return protection. Use your Visa Infinite card for your purchase and get extra return protection every time you make a qualifying purchase of an item up to $ 300 if, within 90 days, you’re not satisfied with your purchase and the merchant will not accept your return.
- Travel accident insurance. When you use your covered Visa card to purchase your ticket for travel, including a plane, ferry, train or bus ticket, receive $ 500,000 in accidental death and dismemberment coverage.
- Trip Cancellation / Trip Interruption. If you need to cancel or interrupt your trip, this benefit can help you reimburse the non-refundable cost of your passenger fare. This feature may also be available on certain Visa Signature cards.
- Travel delay reimbursement. If your flight purchased with your Visa Infinite card is delayed for more than six hours or requires an overnight stay, you may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses you incur as a result of the delay, up to a maximum of $ 500.
When you have a credit card that works on the Visa network, it most likely comes with a number of protections and insurances that could save you money. Be sure to read your card benefits guide to see what the exact attributes of your Visa card are so you can take advantage of all the benefits available.
If you are trying to choose a specific card based on Visa benefits, change gears and choose a credit card based on the overall benefits of the card itself, not just the extras offered by Visa.